University of Wisconsin – Extension Horticulture Publications
- http://learningstore.uwex.edu – Visit this web site to review and directly download UW-Extension publications in horticulture or other subjects. Tree and shrub species selection, plant variety, pest control and cultural recommendations are readily available with color pictures.
- http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/ – This web site is from the UW-Madison Horticulture Department. It includes recently produced Urban Horticulture publications. Detailed horticulture subjects not covered above can likely be found here.
- http://www.extension.umn.edu/topics.html?topic=5 – This web site is from the University of Minnesota Extension and has very good horticulture publications relevant to the St. Croix Valley.
Midwest Tree Fruit Spray Guide (A3314): This publication, one of a series of publications for fruit growers in the Midwest developed by the Midwest Fruit Workers Group, offers the latest spray recommendations for apples, cherries, pears, peaches, and plums (68 pages).
Midwest Small Fruit & Grape Spray Guide (A3899): This publication tells you all you need to know about spraying small fruits for pests, with special sections on grapes, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries as well as fungicides, insecticides, weed control, and other special pest problems (89 pages).
Find all of the above spray guides at the Learning Store
Landscape Plant Selection
Would you like to know which trees, shrubs and flowers can be planted in the St. Croix Valley? This area is in zone 3b and 4a. Use the following web sites to make appropriate selections.
- http://www.sustland.umn.edu – From the University of MN, this interactive list allows you to search for a list of plants based on the elements of landscape design: plant type, form, size, texture and season of interest.
- http://www.midwestlandscapeplants.org – From the University of WI, this plant list includes adapted species with pictures.
St. Croix County – Vacant